Learn About pH, ORP, and Their Effect on Your Body
- pH stands for “Potential Hydrogen” it measures the acidity or alkalinity of a solution
- A pH of 7 is considered neutral, a pH above 7 is alkaline, below 7 is acidic
- Alkaline water has a pH greater than 7
- Rust is the oxidized form of metal
- Oxidation happens when oxygen destroys a substance by stealing electrons from it
- Free radicals are oxidants
- Acids are also oxidants
- Negative ORP is a measurement of an aqueous substances’ ability to reduce oxidation
- A positive ORP will increase oxidation
- Water can have either a negative or positive ORP
- Water ionizers are used to make alkaline water with a negative ORP
Effect of pH on the Human Body
The human body contains both acids and bases. The body maintains the pH of blood between 7.35 and 7.45. The pH level of the urine varies, so Doctors often measure urine pH to evaluate the pH level of the body. Low urine pH has been associated with Metabolic Syndrome, the symptoms of which are:
- High blood pressure
- Insulin resistance
- High Cholesterol
- Kidney stones
Amazing but true! According to Low Urine pH: A Novel Feature of Metabolic Syndrome, A difference of less than1pH in your urine may determine whether or not you will suffer from the symptoms of metabolic syndrome!
“Participants with the metabolic syndrome had a significantly lower 24-h urine pH compared with participants without the metabolic syndrome. Mean 24-h urine pH, adjusted for age, gender, creatinine clearance, and 24-h urine sulfate, decreased from 6.15, 6.10, 5.99, 5.85, to 5.69 with increasing number of metabolic syndrome abnormalities”. – (2007 Maalouf, et al pg 1, paragraph 3)
If you think you may be affected by metabolic syndrome, talk to your doctor.
Benefits of Negative ORP
Negatively charged water contains excess electrons which it readily gives to unstable radicals. This process stabilizes the radical.
Maalouf N. et. al. Low Urine pH: A Novel Feature of the Metabolic Syndrome University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center: http://cjasn.asnjournals.org/content/2/5/883.full.pdf
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.