What is Acidic Water?
Acidic water (often referred to as electrolyzed water) is water with a potential hydrogen (pH) of less than 7. pH refers to the amount of hydrogen mixed in with the water. pH is measured on a scale from 0 to 14; 7 represents "neutral," where the water is neither alkaline nor acidic; 0 through 7 indicates acidity; and 7 through 14 indicates alkalinity.
Signs of acidic water include:
- Blue stains on copper fixtures or pipes
- Blue or green stains in tubs or basins
- pH test showing less than 7 is considered acidic
- A sharp or chlorine smell at the tap
Private water sources that have a pH level of less than 5.5 may corrode plumbing and appliances. The EPA mandates the pH of tap water to be a pH of at least 6.5 to prevent corrosion. Like the Richter scale for measuring earthquake intensity, the pH scale is logarithmic. A solution with a pH of 8.0 is ten times more alkaline than a solution with a pH of 7.0. A solution with a pH of 9.0 is 100 times more alkaline than a solution with a pH of 7.0.
Uses of Acidic Water
acidic water obtained by electrolysis of dilute salt water solutions is an effective treatment of dermatosis in s when applied or sprayed several times at the initial stages of the dermatosis. Medical and Dental offices can use acidic water to destroy micro-organisms, as well as a sterilizing hand wash (Thorn, R.M., , and et al)
- Skin care: Using acidic water to wash your face can improve the complexion of your skin as it works as a natural astringent help relieve dry and itchy skin and removes dirt and oil without the use of chemicals.
- Acidic water made with dilute salt solutions can expedite the healing process of cuts, scrapes, insect bites, rashes, athlete's foot, nail fungus, blisters, acne, eczema, blisters, and poison oak/ivy irritation.
- Hair Care: Acidic water is a miracle hair rinse, it works better than the popular apple cider vinegar rinse! Its great for your scalp and leaves your hair feeling soft and looking naturally shiny.
- Antiseptic: Acidic water can be used as an antiseptic for abrasions, cuts, and a mouth wash to assist in removing plaque from teeth.
- Food: Wash your fruits, vegetables, and meats to effectively kill bacteria.
- Plant Care: Watering your plants and vegetables with acidic water will promote growth and reduce fungus. Cut flowers will last longer in acidic water.
Thorn, R.M., , and et al. "Electrochemically activated solutions: evidence for antimicrobial efficacy and applications in healthcare environments ."ProQuest. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, n.d. Web. 16 Aug 2013. <http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.apollolibrary.com/docview/992862290>.
Wang, L, M Bassirir, and et al. "Hypochlorous Acid as a Potential Wound Care Agent." Journal of Burns and Wounds. Journal of Burns and Wounds, 11 Apr 2007. Web. 15 Aug 2013.
Desai, A., et al. "The efficacy and tolerability of electrolyzed oxidized water in treating mild to moderate acne." Cosmet Dermatol 17.2 (2004): 93-105.